Frequently Asked Questions​


There are many questions asked by prospective clients regarding our services and the process to claim funds. We hope that these answers assist you in understanding the service we provide.  If you have any further queries, please contact us.

How and why did you locate me and is it all legal?


We specialise in reuniting unrecovered funds with their rightful owners, in fact, we go out of our way to ensure that you get your money back.  Our researchers use a number of publicly available resources to track owners down.  It is all done legitimately and ethically.

How can I prove my legal ownership of the unclaimed funds?


Each of the various organisations we deal with require different documentation. A standard requirement is to provide certified copies of documents to satisfy at least two criteria:


1. a link to the last known postal address as proof of your ownership of the unclaimed funds.


2.  proof of your identity.


Suitable documentation of a link to the last known address includes driver's licence, rates notice, utilities bill, financial institution statement, correspondence from an accountant or solicitor, etc.

Suitable documentation of proof of identity includes driver's licence or passport.

If the unclaimed funds belongs to a deceased estate, a certified copy of the Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration must also be supplied.

Also required is a signed Authority, which is included in our initial letter to you.  This authority is a legal requirement to enable us to recover your funds.

What is a certified copy and why is it required?


A certified copy is a photocopy of an original document that has been signed as a "true and correct copy" by a Justice of the Peace, pharmacist, doctor, dentist, veterinary surgeon, bank manager, state school principal, solicitor or police officer. Certified copies are required to ensure that all documents submitted to support a claim are authentic.

How long does it take to recover my funds?


When correct and complete documentation is received, we will initiate immediate recovery of the funds on your behalf. For funds located in Australia, the process normally takes between four to six weeks.  As the funds are being sought from an outside organisation, the time frame can vary. We will keep you informed throughout the process and advise on any anticipated delays.

What protections are in place to ensure that my funds are remitted to me at all?


Refunds Specialists is a fully accountable professional service. All funds dispersed by us for successful claims are followed up and monitored by government bodies.


Where do the funds come from and what does it relate to? 


Some areas we commonly deal with are unpresented cheques, dormant bank accounts, superannuation and company takeovers, rent bonds, local council bonds, the list is endless. Privacy restrictions prevent us from disclosing the full details of the funds until we can confirm that you are the rightful owner.


What happens if I engage with Refunds Specialists but the funds are never recovered?


If the funds are never recovered, there is no fee payable.  You will be notified in writing as to the reason why the funds were unrecoverable, so essentially you have nothing to lose.


Are there any upfront or hidden fees?


There are no upfront or hidden fees.  A commission or agreed fee is only payable once the funds have been recovered.  A cheque will be forwarded to you within 7 days of the funds being recovered.  Retrieval Solution fees will be advised and agreed upfront before the recovery process takes place.


What do I do if I receive a letter from another company offering a similar service?

It is important that you carefully consider your choice of the agency recovering your funds.  Whilst there are many recovery agencies, not all offer the same standard of service.  At Refunds Specialists we offer a professional, courteous and reliable service, at a low cost.

I am not the person you are looking for, or I think I know how to get in touch with this person or his or her next of kin. What should I do?


If you receive a letter from us, but are not the rightful owner of the unclaimed funds, please let us know. We will update our records to ensure that no further correspondence is directed to you. If you know how to contact the rightful owner (or the next of kin), please advise us so that we can correspond with him or her, or if preferred, forward our letter to the owner directly.

What happens if I do nothing about these unclaimed funds?

The funds are held in a non-interest bearing trust account for a limited period of time, which varies from state to state.  If you choose to take no action and the funds remain unclaimed, it is then absorbed into the government's consolidated revenue, and can no longer be recovered.


What if I have further questions?


Our staff are happy to assist you with any further queries. Please do not hesitate to contact us on 0403399137

Need More information?

Talk to Us

Please complete the below information. We respect your privacy, all information supplied will be kept confidential at all times.​


Thank You!

This field is required.

This field is required.


The form has been successfully sent.


ABN: 31074746316

Contact Info

P.O Box 2001, Green Hills NSW 2323, Australia